LL-L "Etymology" 2003.03.19 (01) [E/F/Cornish]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Mar 19 23:56:33 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.MAR.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Dan Prohaska (daniel at ryan-prohaska.com)
Subj.: Etymology

The Cornish for "Jackdaw" is:

Dan

----------

From: Andrys Onsman <Andrys.Onsman at CeLTS.monash.edu.au>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.03.18 (01) [D/E/F/LS/German]

Oan: Henno en Ron
Subject: Aksters

Tige tank, Henno. "Ik bin bliid datsto der bist!"
In kauw is gewoan in ka, net? Sa'n lytse krie?

Andrys

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Andrys oan Henno:

> "Ik bin bliid datsto der bist!"

Ik ek! :)

Dan:

> The Cornish for "Jackdaw" is:

Murrasta why, Dan wheg!

Celtic:

Cornish: chok
Welsh: cawci, cogfran, corfran, jac-y-do (< English?)
Breton: palorez, bran tour
Manx: caaig doo-chassagh
Gaelic: cadhag
Irish: cabhóg
Middle Irish: caog
Proto-Celtic: *ca-óg (ca = onomatopoetic)

Yehes ha sowena!
Reinhard/Ron

P.S.: Talking about Celtic, ... I just found out that I have a
Breton-speaking uncle I had never known about! Wow!

P.P.S.: The server seems to have been down for quite a while today. Sorry
about that.

P.P.P.S.: The server has resumed its antics.  I have not been able to send
this for hours now ...