LL-L "Technica" 2003.05.18 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun May 18 19:39:33 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 18.May.2003 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Friedrich-Wilhelm Neumann" <Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann at epost.de>
Subject: LL-L "Technica" 2003.05.16 (05) [E]

Hi, Ruud and Mike,

You wrote:

> From: Ruud Harmsen <rh at rudhar.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Technica" 2003.05.16 (05) [E]
>
> 12:32 16-5-2003 -0700, Lowlands-L:
> >From: "Mike" <botas at club-internet.fr>
> >Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2003.03.23 (04) [E]
> >
> >Can anyone explain to me why on my screen
> >(which has been arranged such that my wife
> >can correspond in cyrillic characters,
> >and which as now turns out can display
> >Parsi correctly)
> >only gives me garbage on some LL language
> >contributions I see, presumably using
> >special characters of Latin script.
> >I know that this subject has been
> >treated on numerous occasions on LLL,
> >I see mention of this code and that code,
> >and every time I am utterly confused.
> >Can anybody provide an understandable
> >synthesis on this subject?
>
> Two things are important: messages should have a header that
> correctly identifies its character set. As far as I can see, all
> messages in this list are marked as UTF-8 and indeed are in that
> encoding, so no problem there.
>
> Second, you need an email program, and OS, and fonts, that can
> correctly handle UTF-8 and the scripts sometimes encoded in it. (But
> most of the time, it's that just Latin 1, which is widely supported).
>
> Your mileage may vary. Dialog http://www.40tude.com/dialog/ is very
> good at handling character encoding, and I read positive reports
> about Outlook Express and Mozilla. Others program may perform less
> well.
> Win98 and WinMe are not very good at it, although it sometimes works.
> Win2000 and WinXp are said to be better. Having the font "Arial
> Unicode MS" installed certainly helps for the more exotic scripts
> (India and further east), but even without that, West, East, North
> European, Greek, Hebrew, Arabic (script, including non-Arabic
> languages like Farsi), Russian and other Cyrillic, should be no
> problem given the right software.

since the Listserver changed to someone else I've got the same problems
as
Mike.

The times before I  went very well on UNICODE UTF-8, even with the
German
vowels "ae (*a* with two points), and the same with _ oe, _ue", but
since
those *mysterious* developements in administration of LL-L  postings and
answers it doesn't work any longer.

It wouldn't be any problem for UG, because You can substitute them this
way
as I wrote above, but- You nearly cannot in LS. In that language
specially
these vowels are demanded too often and used in a very special meaning,
even
different in the regional LS-dialects, so it doesnt't make much sense to
post anything in LS at the moment.

Let's wait for better times.

Regards

Fiete.

From: globalmoose at t-online.de (Global Moose Translations)
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2003.05.18 (03) [S]

> P.S.: The previous posting dealing with male chickens did not pass a
> couple of people's over-priggish morality filters.  I expect the same to
> happen to this one.

Honi soit qui mal y pense. Why blame others for one's one-track mind??
A chicken is a chicken is a chicken. Cock-a doodle-doo.

Roostering my eye,
Gabriele Kahn