LL-L "Songs" 2003.05.29 (05) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu May 29 19:18:46 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.MAY.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Szelog, Mike" <Mike.Szelog at CITIZENSBANK.com>
Subject: LL-L "Songs" 2003.05.29 (03) [E]

I know one of the labels he recorded on was Rounder Recods out of
Cambridge,
MA - maybe they have something (?).

Mike S

----------

From: <daniel at ryan-prohaska.com>
Subject: LL-L "Songs" 2003.05.29 (01) [E]

 From: Dan Prohaska <daniel at ryan-prohaska.com>
> Subject: "Songs"

> Hello Kristoff !
> Several years ago one version of this song sung by a french (brittanic)
> singer (anybody remembers the name ?) accompanied by harp was very
> popular
> amongst young people in Germany and I always believed it being a
> brittanic
> tune.
> Greetings
> Holger

Moin Holger,

Ik kan mi voerstellen, wat du Alan Stivell meenst. "Brittanic" kan een
up
Ingelsch nich seggen. Du meenst seker "Breton".

"British" heet wat dat vun de britischen Eilannen kamen daait.
"Britannic"
het juemmers wat mid olen spraken vun Britannien to doon.

I can imagine you mean the Breton singer Alan Stivell. He is one of the
more
famous Breton musicians. But there are several recordings of others,
including the Chieftains on their Celtic Wedding CD.

You can't say "a Brittanic tune" in English unless you are refereing to
something of pre- or post-Roman Britain. It's either "British" if it
originates from the British Isles, or "Breton" if it comes from the
Armorican
peninsular, which of course is modern day Brittany (Bretagnge/Breizh).

Dan