LL-L "Nautica" 2003.10.06 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 6 23:47:59 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.OCT.2003 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Anja Meyfarth <anja-meyfarth at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Nautica" 2003.10.02 (09) [E]

Moin Lowlanders!

Ron wrote:

> In Northern Germany the name is _Kogge_, denoting the prevalent type of
ship
> used during the time of the Hanseatic Trading League.
>
> Descriptions and illustrations:

If anyone comes to Kiel, we've got a Kogge lying in the harbour. No good
sailing it but it's cosy in a way. Slow, very slow, and everyone looking at
it.

> In Lowlands Saxon (Low German), one of the words for "pirate" is
> _lyke-deyler_ (<Liekedeler> ['li:kedeIl3`] "like-deal-er") which conveys
> something like "one who gets an equal share."  Originally it referred to
the
> types of pirates that shared their booty in a "fair" way.  Are there
> equivalents of this in other Lowlands language varieties?  Is it the same
as
> "victual brothers" (German _Vitalienbrüder_)?

Well, they are the same. It is said that they started while Stockholm was
besieged by danish armies. They supported the town by bringing them food
(the name "Vitalienbrüder" is said to have com from that). After the war had
ended they fled from the Baltic Sea to the Northern Sea seaking refuge in
East Frisia. In 2005 there will be the next Störtbecker-play in Marienhafe.
Very to be recommended, I know the author (Ingo Sax) and the musicians
(Laway). It is played open air with the whole town being a part of it. It's
like the passion-play in Oberammergau but funnier.

Greetings from Kiel,

Anja