LL-L "Anthems" 2003.10.16 [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 16 08:43:12 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.October.2003 * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

Onderwerp: "Anthems"
Van: "Heinrich Becker" <Heinrich.Becker at gmx.net>

> Tom Byro wrote:
>
> < I wonder how many national anthems are based on drinking songs?  A
> friend < of mine told me years ago that Deutschland Ueber Alles was also
> based on a < drinking song and he sang the song to prove it but I don't
> remember the < < name or how it went.  Is there a traditional Helgoland
> drinking song that < is similar to Deutschland Ueber Alles?
>
> Dear folks,
>
> The 3rd verse of Hayden's "Kaiserquartett" ("Deutschland, Deutschland
> über alles...") is nowadays associated with the Nazi period. Today the
> German national anthem begins with "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit..."
> ("Unity and Right and Freedom..."). It is politically incorrect to refer
> to the presentday national anthem as "Deutschland über alles".
>
> There are also many Austrians, especially monarchists, who will continue
> to claim that the Germans 'stole' our anthem: "Gott erhalt uns unsren
> Kaiser...", a classsical "we was robbed" syndrome. A recently
> experienced shock was that the Germans also wanted to "steal" Mozart
> >from us in an inquiry as to who the greatest 'Germans' in history were.
> That caused uproar in Austria. With the Governator having been elected
> Austrians are exhonorated. ..... Now Hayden was undisputably
> Austrian.... ;-)
>
> Dan

Hi Dan,

sorry, I have to contradict on that for some facts you got mixed up.

1. The Nazis claimed especially the first verse " Deutschland, Deutschland
über alles...." and the second " Deutsche Frauen, deutsche Treue, deutscher
Wein und deutscher Sang.... for their purposes. The contents of the third,
less
heroic and more democratic  verse "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit... " was
always suspected by the Nazis. During their period, they installed a second
national anthem, the terrible "Horst-Wessel-Lied"

2. Only a less gifted person can worry about the many variations of the
"Kaiserquartett". Compare it to Heil Dir im Siegerkranz...." ( Melody of
God save
the Queen )

3. The right text of the monarchists in Austria is: Gott erhalte Franz den
Kaiser

4. By the way: Mozarts father was from Augsburg in Bavaria. People of their
shape at that time often had less problems than some "one truck people" in
Austria or elsewhere today.

Regards

Heinrich Becker