LL-L "Idiomatica" 2003.10.16 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 16 08:45:31 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.October.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

Onderwerp: "Idiomatica"
Van: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>

>> It would be interesting to see if more "exuberant," "flamboyant"
>> expressions
>> are acceptable in the Roman-Catholic-dominated Lowlands, namely in the
>> Southern Netherlands and Belgium where Low Franconian and Francophone
>> spheres overlap.
>
> Hi
>
> I only can speak for my family but here in french west Flanders, we are
> also very stingy with sentimental expression. I think it's interesting
> to note that the verb "to love" doesn't really exist in dutch and in
> west- flemish. For saying "I love you", we use in west flemish: "'k
> zien
> je geirn" which can be litterally translated in high german " ich sehe
> dich gern" (I don't see how to correctly and litterally translate it in
> english. To me it sounds as "I see you with delight").
>
> Note that I know it's the way to say "I love you" in west flemish but I
> never heard my parents say it. I also never heard my parents say it in
> french to me or between them. As a consequence, I never say "I love
> you"
> in west flemish or in french to anyone. I just can't say it!
> Thus, despite of the fact that we are in Roman-catholic-dominated
> lowlands and surely in the most french-influenced area, I think that
> flemish- speaking families are really not exuberant when expressing
> their emotions. But I know that northern french (picard) families are
> more demonstrative ones. It must be a typical lowlandic characteristic.
>
> Cheers
> Frederic Baert

Hi Frederic and Ron,
Indeed, in West-Flemish we have the following expressions:
E: I love you.
V: 'k Zie je geirn(e) (= D: Ik zie je gaarne) . And we/i do use it (a
lot).
The Dutch version is: Ik hou van je (And we don't use that in Flanders).
For someone who is not that close...
E: I like you.
V: 'k Meuge jou (wel).(D: Ik mag je (graag)).
     'k ei jou geirne (D: Ik heb je gaarne).

groetjes
luc vanbrabant
oekene

-----------------------------

Van: globalmoose at t-online.de (Global Moose Translations)

> And sometimes the (between
> 4 and 7-year-old) children in my class tell me that they love me.  Same
> thing; with children I find it easier to say, and to be natural, because
> they take you as you are.

Now this is a good example: if you told a child - especially one that isn't
even yours - "ich liebe dich" in German, it could get you straight to jail,
because "ich liebe dich" basically has the exclusive meaning of "you're the
one I love", also implying erotic desires. But while you might tell your own
child "ich hab' dich lieb", you would never say that to anyone else's
children either - and certainly not as a teacher. For that, we have weaker
forms like "ich mag dich" or "ich habe dich gern" - but even that is nothing
a teacher would normally say, even in kindergarten (unless it is said to all
the children as a group).

Also, ich mag euch ... :-)
Gabriele Kahn