LL-L "Administrativia" 2003.10.29 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 30 18:25:58 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.OCT.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativia

Dear Lowlanders,

Happy Reformation Day, Halloween and Samhain/Beltane to all of you who will
celebrate these tomorrow (Friday, November 31, "today" to many of you when
you read this)!

A number of people have joined us since my last administrative message.  A
special welcome to all of them.  You will find a list of their places of
residence at the end of this message.

I ask our new Lowlanders and certain "old" ones (and you know who you are)
to make sure that they familiarize themselves with our rules and guidelines:
     http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=rules
Some of you who ought to know better still keep making basic posting
mistakes such as not giving a subject (LL-L, Lowlands, Answer, etc., simply
won't do!) or making up their own subject instead of continuing a given one,
or not saying whom they quote.

Some of you have complained about the high volume of mail.  If this is a
concern of yours, let me draw your attention to alternatives:

   * Digest (sends one daily bundle of messages)
   * Index (sends bundled subject lines only)

(If you use the index mode, you would need to read the actual messages in
our archives at http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html,
which you need to read in Unicode view mode to read all characters
correctly.)

To stop receiving mail while remaining subscribed (e.g., vacation) and
resume receiving mail you can use:

   * Nomail/Mail

However, be aware that, if you are a "vocal" subscriber, the above-mentioned
modes will put you behind in the discussions.

All these and the commands with which you can enable them can be found in
the ListServ Manual: http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/userindex.html .  The
manual contains information about further types of settings.

You will need to send the following type of command to
listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org :

   set lowlands-l {command}

... where {command} stands for "digest," "index," "nomail" and "mail" in
these cases.  This works only if you send these commands from the email
address that you subscribed, not from an alternative one.

If all fails, you may write to me or Mathieu (lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net) and
request the mode(s) you require.

Some of you keep asking how you can get to see the "special" letters we use
on this list.  The simple answer is that you need to set your email view
mode to Unicode UTF-8 and, if available, use Arial Unicode as the default
font for this mode.  Arial Unicode used to be available for free downloads,
but it is now a part of commercial packages sold by Microsoft, contained in
most of the latest issues of Windows and Office.

Quite a few of you write to me personally.  If you do so, please write to
sassisch at yahoo.com. If you send personal messages to me via the Lowlands-L
address I am likely to assume that they are posting submissions meant for
the entire List to read.  I certainly enjoy hearing from you and getting to
know you individually, also those who do not post to the List, and I promise
you confidentiality.  However, if you write to me personally please be aware
that you are not the only one and do not have my undivided attention at all
times, that I am often unable to respond right away, depending on my work
load.  It has happened a couple of times in the past (one time in the recent
past) that people who posted to the List, and posted *often*, would send me
several private messages for virtually every one of their postings, getting
frustrated and finally leaving the List because they were frustrated that I
did not (= simply could not) respond to each and every one of their numerous
cries for personal attention.  So, yes, I love hearing from you, but please
be understanding and patient.

Thanks for your support, and happy holidays!
__________
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Administrator, Lowlands-L
http://www.lowlands-l.net