LL-L "Etymology" 2003.09.13 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Sep 14 00:38:35 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.SEP.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Terrence Connor <tconnor at broadpark.no>
Subject: LL-L "Syntax" 2003.09.12 (04) [A/E]

I was also wondering about some other Afrikaans words like "dalk" (perhaps,
maybe) or
"darem" (though, afterall, all the same) and whether counterparts can be
found in other
lowlands languages and dialects. Does the latter "darem" stem from "daarom".

Baie dankie

Terrence

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hei, Terrence!

Thanks for the help re _laat ..._ in Afrikaans (and to you too, Jan).  As
you can see, I have separated the above part out from your submission.
(Keep subjects apart, folks, and that applies to a whole bunch of you!)

Terrence, Lowlanders, I've always assumed that Afrikaans _darem_ 'therefore'
is a cognate of Dutch _daarom_, Lowlands Saxon (Low German) _darüm_
(<daarüm>) and German _darum_.  As far as I am aware, the second syllable in
_darem_ really has a schwa sound, and it _darem_ seems fairly reasonable to
see it as a reduction of _...rom_, since it is an unstressed syllable.

I have long been mystified by Afrikaans _dalk_ 'perhaps' myself.  I now
suspect _...lik_ (= Dutch _...lijk_, LS _...li(g)_, English _...ly_, Scots
_...lie_, related to English _like_, Scots _lik_, etc.) to be part of it.
Phonologically, _dalk_ as a contraction of _dadelik_ would make sense,
except, this latter word means 'immediate(ly)', 'promt(ly)', 'directly', 'at
once' (as does Dutch _dadelijk_).  Then again, _dalkies_ means 'by-and-by',
'before long' and ... tara! ... 'presently', probably a link in this
seemingly unlikely chain.  (You never know what went on in the heads of
those early "Dutch" colonists.)

Incidentally, in Lowlands Saxon of Northern Germany there is a word (which
has been borrowed by Missingsch* and other Northern German varieties):
_dalli_.  You can say things like _Nu maal dalli!_ (Missingsch _Nu ma
dalli!_) 'Hurry up now!'  Obviously, this is a cognate of Dutch _dadelijk_
(and Afrikaans _dalk_?) in a _...li_ type dialect (versus a _...lig_ type
dialect).

* For those of you who don't already know, Missingsch is a type of German
dialect (many local varieties) with noticeable Lowlands Saxon substrates,
the German equivalent of Steds or Stedfrysk (i.e., Dutch dialects with
Frisian substrates).

Cheers!