LL-L "Language politics" 2004.08.09 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 9 15:42:44 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.AUG.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Language politics

Dear Lowlanders,

This is the first Lowlands-L issue after my California trip.  It is also the
first issue from my new computer.  (Let's hope that I have set the mail
program up correctly.)

Once again, thanks to Mathieu van Woerkom for steering the boat during my
shore leave.

Welcome also to those of you who have joined us recently.  I will mention
you again in my next administrative message. In the meantime, please
familiarize yourselves with the rules and guidelines
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=rules).

Below please find a press release issued by EBLUL.  It may be of interest to
some of you.

Regards,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands-L
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
http://www.lowlands-l.net

***

EBLUL PRESS RELEASE 9/8/2004

49 Rue St Josse, Brussels, B-1210 Belgium

Brussels Office  00 32 (0)2 218 2590

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

EBLUL set to continue working for linguistic diversity with European
Commission support

The Board of Directors of the European Bureau for Lesser Used Languages
(EBLUL) met with representatives from the European Commission on Friday and
discussed the future development of the organization over the weekend. The
Board also drafted a new policy programme for 2005.

Speaking to the press on Friday President Bojan Brezigar said:

“The Board has drafted a list of priorities which will be submitted to the
EBLUL General Assembly for approval at their meeting in September and in the
meantime the Board of Directors are keeping a close eye on developments.

“We cannot deny that there is a crisis for this year, it follows a lapse in
our contract with the European Commission caused by the introduction of new
financial regulations by the Commission. The EBLUL Board of Directors met in
Brussels today and yesterday conducted extensive meetings with Commission
officials concerned. The Commission underlined its continuing support for
EBLUL on the basis of new financial regulations.

“This will mean that EBLUL will have to reorganise its structure, make it
more decentralised, with more activities being held in its language
communities and less staff in its central office. It will mean that we will
be inviting more organisations to participate in co-funding activities to
promote lesser-used languages and linguistic diversity and at the same time
ensuring that these activities take place within the community concerned.

“The Board wishes to express particular gratitude to EBLUL staff such as the
ongoing Partnership for Diversity project, and to the Eurolang news agency
and its journalists, who voluntarily have kept the cause of language rights
alight in the heart of Europe”.