LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.11 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Aug 11 22:46:03 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.AUG.2004 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Dave Singleton <davidsin at pt.lu>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2004.08.11 (02) [E]

On 11 Aug 2004 at 8:26, Lowlands-L wrote:

> From: Bill Wigham <redbilly2 at earthlink.net>
> Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.10 (02) [E]
>
> Henry & Al:
>     Thanks to all who answered my message.  I am printing out all the
> information sent and
> believe sincerely that this LL-L List must contain some heavy hitters.
> plan to print out all this information and bind it.  Is that allowed in
> this
> organization or does it require permission from the writer?
>
>     Please let me know if the dialects of Yorkshire are considered
> Lowland
> language.  It was part of the Danelaw
> and its shore is washed by the North Sea.  Great Grandpa was a
> "Yorkshirebite" as granny used to say, as a gentle warning not to do
> business with Yorkshiremen.  She had his sugar bowl bearing the
> inscription,
> "If thee does aught for naught, do it for th'sel' ".
>
>      I am enjoying this exchange very much and hope to have something
> substantial to add as time goes on, in the mean time I shall be an eager
> sponge for information.
>
> Cheers,
> Bill Wigham

Hey up lad, whon a'  wuz thur yon cup had

"if tha' does owt fer nowt, tha' does't fer thisen"

but that's from the  South Riding in Yorkshire, Dore village (site of the
treaty signed between Egbert and Ethelred in 988 or 998 or so )

Mind you, the expression could really be from a Dutch way of thinking, I
mean there was a strong connection between Flanders,Frisland and Northern
Britain in early trading times what !!!

Dave Singleton

Yorkshire traders were renowned for being "tighter than a Ducks'  bum -- and
they're waterproof"