LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.19 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Aug 19 14:33:23 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.AUG.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: "Kevin Caldwell" <kcaldwell31 at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.18 (12) [E]

> > From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
> > Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.18 (06) [E]
> >
> > Kevin also wrote:
> > "There is also the verb "tide", as in, "This snack should tide you over
> > until dinner." Also "betide", meaning "to happen"."
> >
> > Thanks! I had forgotten those examples. In particular, _betide_ is a
> > fascinating relic, surviving only in the cliché _woe betide_.
>
> _Only_ in that cliché? I am mostly familiar with it in the hymn "God Will
Take Care of You" (written in 1904), which starts, "Be not dismayed whate'er
betide."

----------

From: David Barrow <davidab at telefonica.net.pe>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.17 (10) [A/E/Yiddish]

>From: John Duckworth <jcduckworth2003 at yahoo.co.uk>
>Subject: Language Varieties
>
>Hello, Lowlanders!
>
>Críostóir asked:
>
>"Why does English use _time_ while every other Germanic language uses a
>cognate of _tide_ (D. _tijd_, Ger. _zeit_) to express duration?"
>
>I think the answer to this is that at some point English found itself with
>two words for time - a Norse one, and an Anglo-Saxon one.The Old Norse word
>was _ tími _ , and the Old English _ tíd _.

time is from OE_tíma_. None of the sources I've looked at say it's from
the Norse word. Akin to yes, but not from.

David Barrow

----------

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>

> From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.18 (06) [E]
>

> Kevin Caldwell wrote:
> "Is the English word "tidings", meaning "news", related to "tide"?"
>
> I reckon so. It has a common cognate in German _zeitung_ which often
> forms
> part of German newspaper titles. Without thinking, I always
> transliterate
> _Suddeutsche Zeitung_ as "South Dutch Tiding" (with apologies to our
> Dutch
> subscribers). I think in Dutch the form _tijdschrift_ is more common
> for
> newspaper titles, but our Netherlands-based members are better placed
> than
> me to comment.
>
> Kevin also wrote:
> "There is also the verb "tide", as in, "This snack should tide you over
> until dinner." Also "betide", meaning "to happen"."
>
> Thanks! I had forgotten those examples. In particular, _betide_ is a
> fascinating relic, surviving only in the cliché _woe betide_. Do Dutch
> or
> German have _betijd_ and _bezeit_ with the same or similar meaning?
>
> Go raibh maith agaibh,
>
> Críostóir.
Hi,
In Dutch a newspaper is called "een krant" . "Een tijdschrift" is what
you call a periodical.
Some Flemish words:
betijds/ antijds/ antijden/ intijds = on time
ondertijd(s)/ somtijds/ van tijd tot tijd = now and then
overtijd(s) = a while agoo
juist in tijds = just in time
intussentijd = meanwhile
ten allen tijde = alwaeys
Hoe laat is't an den tijd? =Which hour of the day is it?
men(ne)tijd/ meintijd = time for the harvest to be collected.
getie = tide

groetjes
luc vanbrabant
oekene

----------

From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Etymology

Since the places where Fering is spoken are the Geest Islands perhaps it's
the eating habits of the local monkeys which caused Paulsen to slip on a
banana skin and fall down on his R's.

I couldn't see how to work "Ethnologue" into the puns but it's "Ferring"
there as well.

Thought for the day: "The Ron spelling is the right spelling."

Regarding "weather", "tide", etc, don't forget the time dimension (no pun
intended). "Tide" (of the sea) is only attested from C14, "weather" meaning
"survive" only from 1655 and "weather" meaning "wear away" only from 1757.
These from "Chambers Dictionary of Etymology". "The Oxford Dictionary of
Etymology" does not see any political content in the use of "-tide" as a
suffix denoting "time" and just says it's archaic. It's probably given a
date in the OED but I would have expected Onions (all puns resisted) to
specify one if the usage really were Victorian.

The Mod Dutch word for newspaper is "krant" from French "courant".

John Feather
johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk