LL-L "Morphology" 2004.08.29 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Aug 29 17:09:07 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.AUG.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Kristoff Bonne <kristoff.bonne at compaqnet.be>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.28 (04) [E]

Gegroet,

Lowlands-L schreef:

> From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
> Subject: Etymology
> Re: te allen tijde

> I thought I'd pass on the results of an updated search of AltaVista set to
> Worldwide and All Languages, this time including "ter ..".

(...)

> Thus 16 out of the 18 theoretically possible variations which can be
formed
> from te/(r/n), alle/n, tijd/e/n can actually be found in this "database".

Well, "ter" would be rather strange, as it indicates a place, a
location. Like "ter plaatse" (at the location) or "ter hoogte van ...
(bv.) de knieën": at the height/location of (e.g.) the knees.

"Ten" is an indication of time: "ten tijde van (bv.) de eerste
overstroming": during the times of (e.g.) the first flood.

So, it would be "ten", but it's actually the "alle" where I would place
an "r". So, "ten aller tijde" (during all times).

But this is only my personal "gut feeling" of how it feels correct;
which can -of course- be influenced by things like my dialect (I'm from
West-Vlaanderen, born in Bruges but now living on the coast) or other
languages I know.

Perhaps the "r" would come from the plural form of the "genitief"
(genetif case?). I don't know why. It's just my feeling.

> John Feather
> johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk
Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.
--
Kristoff Bonne, Bredene, BEL
H323 VoIP: callto://krbonne.homelinux.net/