LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.29 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Aug 29 17:09:09 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.AUG.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Dan Prohaska <danielprohaska at bluewin.ch>
Subject: Language varieties

>>From: john feather
>>The Venerable Bede's story of the Angles, Saxons and Jutes is over-simple.
>>The invaders came over a period of time and not necessarily directly from
>>their traditional homelands. I have read that the Saxons settled all round
>>the coast of the mainland from the Scheldt to the Loire. But if we start
>>assuming that large numbers came to Britain as traders and mercenaries and
>>basically took power by force of numbers when their populations had built
>>up, don't we have a problem with the lack of Latin and Celtic in OE apart
>>from place names? There are some Celtic terms for physical features of the
>>landscape but almost no Latin except words already borrowed on the
>>Continent. There may not have been any _need_ for more Latin but we know
>>from the later Viking/Danish invasions that even closely similar words can
>>exist side by side over long periods.

>>>Dan wrote:
>>>The Old English dialects called Anglian most likely developed their
>>>distinguishing features in Britain. So there is no one continental
>>>dialect which can be considered the parent dialect of Anglian, but it was
>>>rather a levelled colonial amalgam of several dialects. The situation is
>>>no different for the Saxon dialects of Old English.<

>>If this is the case, can anyone suggest any reason why much the same
>>mixture of source languages gave two distinct language groups in
>>"England"?

My guess is that the dialectal mix in the separate settlement areas was
different - this in isolation for two or three generations may have provoked
different forms of levelling. This may sound far fetched, but it is
reasonable if you compare the situation of American English where to this
day you see two very distinct dialect groups that originated in two separate
settlement areas. Though basically the same language was transplanted the
dialectal mix was a little different. Yet what emerged in the New World was
a new dialect different from every one found in the Old World.

Dan