LL-L "Resources" 2004.01.16 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jan 17 01:15:37 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.JAN.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Folks,

It is great to see that Lowlands Saxon ("Low German") studies are being
offered at the University of Bristol, England, involving real language
acquisition:

http://mail.bris.ac.uk/~gexnl/teaching/niederd.html

Bravo!

Hopefully the introduction to the program will soon be updated to reflect
today's reality: it is not a "dialect" but a *language*.  It is the
descendant of Old Saxon.  It is now a regional language recognized by eight
North German states and the eastern provinces of the Netherlands (where it
is called _Nedersaksisch_), thus also by the European Union in accord with
the European Language Charter.  It is an official language in Germany along
with German, Danish, Frisian, Lower Sorbian, Upper Sorbian and Romani
(Romanes).

I am copying the program director on this, hoping that he will ensure that
this status be reflected in the promotional information.  I consider this
all the more important in the case of this sociolinguistics program
purporting to teach "the Use and Status of Low German."

I noticed that quite a few universities all over the world lag behind on
this score.  We would do well to draw their attention to this wherever we
encounter this type of misrepresentation.  And we might as well do the same
for Scots vis-Ã -vis English while we are at it.

Kumpelmenten,