LL-L "Resources" 2004.01.18 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jan 18 19:27:15 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 18.JAN.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Resources"

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Resources
>
> It is great to see that Lowlands Saxon ("Low German") studies are being
> offered at the University of Bristol, England, involving real language
> acquisition:

It's interesting that Bristol University is also the main centre for
research and teaching of British Sign Language.

I don't suppose this is connected in any way through general attitudes
towards minority languages at Bristol?

Wouldn't it be interesting if Bristol also took up the teaching of Scots
with real language acquisition and put the Scottish universities to shame?

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Sandy (above):

> Wouldn't it be interesting if Bristol also took up the teaching of Scots
with
> real language acquisition and put the Scottish universities to shame?

I agree, Sandy, though it would surprise me.  The university does not seem
terribly strong in the area of language otherwise, at least does not seem to
offer much in the way of language choices, hopefully makes with up quality
what it lacks in quantity.  I searched in vain for courses in British
languages other than English, for example.

Changing the topic bbut staying with "Resources" ...

I discovered a neat little resource page offering free Word for Windows
pluckins for language instructors: http://www.teachers-pet.org/