LL-L "Delectables" 2004.01.20 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jan 20 17:47:54 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.JAN.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: thbyro at earthlink.net <thbyro at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2004.01.19 (01) [E]

Ron and Lowlanders:

I am happy to report that I have made progress here in New York in finding a
source of Herring in brine (with the intention of making herring salad).I
struck out with Schaller und Weber and the Karl Ehmer chain and had pretty
much given up.  However, today I walked along Brighton Beach Avenue in
Brooklyn in the area called Little Odessa and stopped in at a Russian fish
store and found barrels of it.  If there are any lowlanders here in New York
who are longing to reaquaint themselves with the wonders of herring, they
should go to Royal Seafood 3100 Ocean Parkway, Brooklyn, NY  (718-996-6712).
The herring is cheap at $1.69 per whole fish. It would definitely be helpful
if you speak Russian (I don't) but I got by with a few words and a lot of
gesturing.  I had hoped to find Buekling but I struck out.  I was offered a
smoked Makerell but it is simply not the same.  I know that my parents used
to buy it all the time but I can't remember where.

I picked up a 2 liter bottle of Kvass at the fishstore.  A strange beverage
but not unpleasant.

I will need recipes for herring salad again.  I lost them when I wiped my
hard drive in the hope of curing a problem with my computer.Also I would
like a recipe for making fresh bratherring.  I have never seen bratherring
on the menu of a German restaurant here.  I think the problem is that German
cuisine in the USA is synonimous with that of Bayern.

Tom Byro

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Tom,

Congratulations on your successful herring search!

Sure, (cold-)smoked mackerel isn't the same as (cold-)smoked herring
(_Bückling_), and I know you are a hard-core herring man, but it is very
good and was considered a step up from herring when and where I grew up.
Also, it has more of that good omega oil that has enormous health benefits.

> I will need recipes for herring salad again.  I lost them when I wiped my
hard
>  drive in the hope of curing a problem with my computer.

If you want to find previous postings, just go to our archive
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?S1=lowlands-l) and type in key
words, but don't forget to check "Substring Search."

See below:

> > White? I didn't know there was such a thing.
>
> Yep.  We tended to buy it, a bit of the white and a bit of the red on
> whole-grain bread for supper.  Both types use sour cream, sometimes
> mayonnaise, sometimes a mixture of the two.  The white type does not
contain
> beets but white vegetables, such as celeriac, turnip and parsnip.  Both
> types contain cubed pickled cucumber, either vinegar-cured or salt-cured
> (the latter of which is the real, good traditional kosher pickle,
*without*
> vinegar, folks, not the garbage they sell as "kosher pickles" in American
> supermarkets these days).  Both types of salad use vinegar-cured (i.e.,
> uncooked) herring, namely _Bismarkhering_.

The red version has small cubes of boiled or steamed beetroot in it.

> I think the problem is that German cuisine in the USA is synonimous with
that of Bayern

True, and to some degree also Franconian and Alemannic cuisines (e.g.,
_Spaezle_) -- in other words, cuisines of what used to be the American
sector of occupied Germany and the traditional part of the country for
American tourism.   The north is way off the map in American tourist
promotion.  Not even Rick Steves (who professes to go to out-of-the way
places, (http://www.ricksteves.com/home.htm) goes there.  He flits back and
forth between Britain, "Holland," Scandinavia, Southern Germany and Berlin
without ever as much as mentioning the north.  (I am copying him on this in
hopes of making him see sense ...)

(By the way, _Bayern_ is "Bavaria" for those who do not understand the
German name.)

Kumpelmenten,