LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.22 (12) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jul 23 00:07:00 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.JUL.2004 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Gustaaf van Moorsel <gvanmoor at aoc.nrao.edu>
Subject: Etymology

My brother, visiting me from the Netherlands, brought with him
a welcome supply of stroopwafels, some of which I distributed
here among friends who I know appreciate this delicacy.  One
of them replied with "thanks for the siroopwafels", using the
word "siroop" rather than "stroop".  And yes, on the package
it clearly does say "siroopwafels" > syrup waffles, although I
don't think anybody uses that word in actual speech.

So, what is the etymology of 'stroop'?  Is it somehow derived
from 'siroop', and if so, how does an 'i' become a 't'?  Or
does it a have derivation of its own?  Do other lowland
languages have cognates of 'stroop' (= cane sugar syrup)?

Gustaaf

----------

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>

Beste Troy,

> Standard Dutch has "spin" for "spider", but "spinnekop" is
> fairly widely used I believe, at least in the north of
> Flanders (the Kempen). Is it used elsewhere in Flanders
> and/or the Netherlands?

All the possible information re "spin" can be found at
http://allserv.rug.ac.be/~jvkeymeu/cyberlemmata/nederlands/
Just click on "spin" in the left frame, and then at the bottom you can
choose what you would like to see most. For example a "sprekende kaart",
which is litterally a "talking map", showing all the different words (plus
prononciation in major cities). Etymological information is also provided.
Personally, I always say "spinnekop".

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx