LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.28 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jul 28 17:31:33 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.JUL.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Troy Sagrillo <meshwesh at bigfoot.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.28 (03) [E]

on 28.07.2004 5.59 PM,  R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>:

> Note also that Scots has _gairden_ for "garden," as well as _yaird_ for
both
> 'yard' and 'garden', also _kailyaird_ for 'kitchen garden' (lit. "cabbage
> yard" or "soup yard").

Scots also has _toun_ & _town_ for "an area of arable land on an estate,
occupied by a number of farmers as co-tenants; a farm with its buildings and
the immediate surrounding area" (Concise Scots Dict.). I vaugely remember in
the novel _Waverley_ by Walter Scott it is used in the sense of "garden", bu
it's been awhile since I read it, so it may have been in the sense of
"farm".

Peter Snepvangers wrote:

> Dutch - Tuin

I regularly hear "hof" in the Antwerpse Kempen, so it may be more generally
Brabants as well.

Cheers,

Troy