LL-L "Identity" 2004.07.28 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jul 28 22:44:11 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.JUL.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Roger Hondshoven 2 <roger.hondshoven at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Identity" 2004.07.27 (05) [A/E]

Hi,

J.L. Pauwels was indeed a great lecturer at the KUL, Leuven (Belgium), but
as far as I know he passed away somewhere in the seventies.

Kind regards,

Roger Hondshoven

From: HALLS Haeng-Cho <zzhhalls at student.uq.edu.au>

 Re "negation", I would like to add that in 1958 Dr. J. L. Pauwels
published
> a very fine article titled "De expletieve ontkenning nie(t) aan het einde
> van de zin in het Zuidnederlands en het Afrikaans"

Baie dankie hiervoor, Luc. U inset het ongetwyveld kol getref!

> Afrikaners (or is that "Afrikaansers" these days?),

Well, we say (& have fore some time) ' Afrikaan - Afrikane' for an African
or Africans, covering any nation from Nama to Amazig, 'Afrikaner -
Afrikaners' for ourselves, & 'Afrikander - Afrikanders' for a local breed of
draught cattle. The difference between 'Afrikaner' & 'Afrikander' can stir
up quite as much heat here as the difference between 'Scots' & 'Scotch' (I
duck). The word 'Afrikaanses' (Afrikaans ones) would be an appropriate
extrapolation needed on the spur of the moment to differentiate, for
example, in a party, between those who speak Afrikaans & those who do not.

> Don't you also use the tag _... nê?_ or _... nè?_ where English uses tag
> questions ("..., isn't it?", "..., don't you?" etc.)

Hey! Is that the same Dr. J. L. Pauwels I had for linguistics at Monash Uni
in the mid 90s? Great Lecturer, by the way