LL-L "False friends" 2004.06.05 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jun 5 20:37:21 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.JUN.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: John Nelson <onlinelearning2 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "False friends" 2004.06.05 (01) [E]

"And then there is the widespread use of 'learn'
meaning 'to teach'.  I would say this is more of a
working class usage than a particular dialect (it has
a nice history, too)."

Would venture a guess this is more prominent in the
former Danelaw region.  The root "lære" in Danish
means "to teach."