LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.03.26 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Mar 26 17:48:22 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.MAR.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.03.25 (07) [E]

> From: Roger Hondshoven <roger.hondshoven at pandora.be>
> Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.03.25 (05) [D/E]
>       I was struck in the text below by the sentence: "we call ourselves
> Diets". I can't imagine anyone in Flemish Belgium and in the Netherlands
> today who would call his language "Diets" .

I think the "Dietsche Warande en Belfort" is still one of the leading
magazines for literature in Dutch.
cf. Website:
http://www.dwb.be/dwb/home.html

Regards,

Roger

----------

From: David Pattyn <david.pattyn at t-online.de>

Hello,

in reaction Rogers Text about "Diets".
>>From time to time I do call myself a "Dietscher" or the language that I
speak "Dietsch".
I see no problem in that since my mothertongue is "Westvlams" which is a
flemisch tongue
that is stil spoken verry alike as was spoken in the Middle Ages. What the
political load
of that word is, is not relevant.

Another thing that i noticed in tis discussion about Low-German is that
Linguist trie to devide
the dialects in smooth borders. That is not so easy to do.
As I look to the resemblance of "Westvlams" with Low-Saxon, or even with
modern German,
and against that I see the differences between "Westvlams" and  modern
Dutch, then I can
hardly see "Westvlams" as a dutch dialect. Also I would say that "Westvlams"
is a dialect with
at least saxon roots, so it would do not much right to call "Westvlams" a
Low-Franconian dialiect.
Another thing is that West-, Middle- and East-Germany since the Middle Ages
was settled down
with People from Holand and Flanders. And that even til 1945 in Prussia,
Königsberg, a dialect
was spoken that was verry simelar to Flemish.

Kind regards,
David