LL-L "Names" 2004.05.09 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun May 9 21:45:46 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.MAY.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2004.05.08 (05) [E]

Dear Pat Reynolds,
    I'd like to make a contribution here.
    There is a highly respected surname in South Africa today, "Gouws",
which folk etymology identifies with that epithet the courtier offered
Margaret of Parma, sometime Regent of the Spanish Netherlands, during the
'Netherlands Inquisition', when the Gentlemen of Holland marched in solemn
parade to demonstrate their outrage against the horrific 'Plakkaarte'.
    The courtier told her, burning with outrage (for she had no executive
powers), 'Do not distress yourself My Lady, they are only 'beggars."
    Well, the Dutch said, "You call us beggars, so beggars we will be, & you
will learn to use that name with respect." & so they did.
    Here in S Africa the lesson was learned twice over again. Once, when the
VOC employees dismissed the free burghers with contempt, calling them
'Boeren'. Well, those addressed took the name with pride. I am told that in
all the languages & dialects of the Northwest European Littoral, the use of
the word 'boor', 'boer' or cognates can give insult, except in S Africa,
where even a white English speaker, or Portuguese, addressed by that name
(in appropriate context) receives it as a modest accolade.
    So also with another pejorative term. The VOC passed away, & then the
mark of distinction passed to those who had had an education outside S
Africa. Those who had come from the Netherlands were called 'Vaderlands', &
those who had had their Education in the Dutch Indies were honoured with the
epithet 'Oorlams'. those who could boast neither were dismissed as Africans'
'Afrikaner'. A we took this name also, for pride. The first 'Afrikaner' to
achieve high office in the Cape was, I think, Governor Swellengrebel.
    Nowadays the two terms have nearly the same application, except that
'Afrikaner' leans toward the language context', & 'Boer' towards the context
of the rural population. I have seen some of English origin answer to both
in suitable context.
    This is, to my mind, the healthy response to pejorative language, to
take it to oneself for a thing of pride, rather than to let another argue
about whether it is shameful to apply it to you.
    Yrs Sincerely,
Mark.