LL-L "Anniversary" 2004.11.07 (01) [E/Arabic/Italian]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Nov 7 23:19:32 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.NOV.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Tom Mc Rae <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "Anniversary" 2004.11.05 (03) [E]

On 06/11/2004, at 11:11 AM,  R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It seems to me that, if it is understandable across all
> Lowlands-internal
> boundaries, this would make a neat motto for Lowlands-L.

I like it Ron and it is far from specific to Old Saxon.
The motto of Clan Grant is "Stand Fast" for example as inscribed on
certain scotch whisky bottle.

All the best
Tom

----------

From: Andrys Onsman <Andrys.Onsman at CeLTS.monash.edu.au>
Subject: LL-L "Anniversary" 2004.11.06 (02) [E]

To Sandy
 From Andrys Onsman

> The town of Tranent, also two miles from my village, has as its motto "Ca
> Forrit", being a bit difficult to translate, but means something like
> "Press
> on", "Drive or thrust forward" or "Forge ahead".

Hi Sandy

Sounds like the Dutch  "Ga vooruit" (although we'd probably just say
"vooruit"). In  Liwadders we'd say "ferruut," mostly when giving
permission, as in "go on, then."

On holding fast, in Westerlauwers you could say fêsthâlde. (As always I
defer to Henno - that bloke's a fair dinkum genius at the lingo).
Holding on is usually beethâlde. Specially when the wind catches the
sails of the river barge during a race and the thing takes off!  Then
there's nothing else to do but to go "forrit!"

Best
Andrys

----------

From: Pyt Berg <pytbergy at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Anniversary" 2004.11.03 (07) [E]

The trouble with Interlingua is it seem to derive TOO MUCH from Latin and
forgets
that at least 200M people in Europe speak a Germanic based lanaguage
and another 300M speak a Slavic based language.

At least Esperanto takes MORE of these Languages into account.

I think it is little patronisning to ignore this fact when considering a
more "universal"
language for Europe at least.

Pieter.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Thanks for the feeback, guys, also the one I received off the List.

Pieter (above):

> At least Esperanto takes MORE of these Languages into account.

I don't think anyone can argue with that, Pieter.  What you got were
personal opinions about Esperanto, not a "bashing" and not an exclusion.
Personally, I am not crazy about Esperanto (and really any artificial
language), but that is, as I said, personal.  I certainly respect the
movements and the people and effort behind it, and know that the proponents'
hearts are in the right place in my personal opinion.

By the way, an Esperanto version of the wren story would be quite welcome,
and feel free to write your anniversary "blurb" in that language too, if you
wish.  ;-)

I wrote about our 10th anniversary project of presenting the Wren story
 (http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/low-saxon/ls-story.html), possibly with
sound files, in as many Lowlands language varieties (and in "key" languages)
as we can:

> While version in virtually all language varieties would be welcome (and
> some
> are already available), we definitely need translations into "key"
> languages.  By this I mean "power" languages or linguae francae that reach
> large readership or are used by people in countries with low average
> foreign
> language profiency (such as China, Japan, Korea and Indonesia).
>
> Among the "key" languages, we so far have versions in the following,
> besides
> English:
>
> German
> Japanese
> Korean
> Portuguese
> Spanish (Castilian)
>
> We definitely need translations into the following:
>
> Arabic
> Chinese
> French
> Russian
>
> Furthermore, very desirable would be a version in Indonesian

Something may be happening on the French and Russian fronts, with prospects
for Chinese and Indonesian.  (I can help with the Chinese version, certainly
can transliterate it between traditional and simplified writing systems, and
I know enough Malay and Indonesian to be able to process the
translation(s).)

So, how about Arabic, folks?  I am so happy to have native (and learned)
Arabic speakers on this list, so I'm appealing to them.  We won't publish
your name(s) if you don't want to.

سلام ، صد٠قات عز٠زة! أنا كنت جدّا مسرورة إن أنت تساعد. رجاء كتبت إلى ٠.

Ciao, cari amici italiani! Sono disposto a aiutarli con una traduzione
italiana della storia circa il scricciolo? Scriva me, prego! Ringraziamenti
in anticipo.

Difficulties with the word for "(winter) wren" (_Troglodytes troglodytes_)?

Norwegian: gjerdesmett
Swedish: gärdsmyg
Faeroese: músabróðir
Icelandic: músarrindill
Italian: scriccolo
French: roi de froidure, cabot, roetelet, rutelet,
   ratereau, raillon (or troglodyte mignon)
Catalan: cargolet
Latvian: paceplitis
Lithuanian: karetaitÄ—s
Hungarian: ökörszem
Lower Sorbian: stśěž, stśěžyk
Upper Sorbian: kralik
Russian: крапивник
Greek: τρυποφράχτης
Herbrew: אירופה ואסיה
Arabic: وَصْع (waS`)
Turkish: _çalı kuşu_ ("shrubbery bird") or _bokluca bülbül_
   ("turd nightingale," thus similar to Groningen Lowlands Saxon
   _keudeldoemke_ "little turd thumb")
Azeri: gicitkənlik
Kazakh: қалақайлық
Chinese: 鷦鷯 | 鹪鹩 (jiao1 liao2)

In some (many?) cases there is no "wren" in the homeland of a language, such
as in Indonesian and Malay (burung kecil yang bagus kicaunya).  In such
cases, please feel free to just translate vaguely something like "(little)
bird," or use the name of a comparable known bird that makes its nest at
people's houses.  Or in Indonesian you could make up something like _burung
winterkoninkje_, in Malay _burung wren_ ("wren bird," using a Dutch and
English loanword respectively).

So there!  Surprise us!  ;-)

And what about East (Sater) Frisian and North Frisian?  Does anyone have any
contacts?

Thanks and regards!