LL-L "Syntax" 2004.11.07 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Nov 7 23:25:16 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.NOV.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Roger Hondshoven 2 <roger.hondshoven at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Syntax" 2004.10.24 (03) [D/E]

Hi Ingmar,

Thanks for your reflexion on my posting about a double negative.
Though Melkwezer is situated pretty close to the language border I don't
think the use of 'en' as a negation can be attributed to French influence.
French influence has indeed  been strong in that dialect as in all other
dialects in Brabant (Belgium), but the inluence can only be ascertained in
the field of vocabulary, never - as far as I can judge now - in grammatical
aspects.

Kind regards,

Roger

----------

From: Roger Hondshoven 2 <roger.hondshoven at pandora.be>

Hi Ingmar again,

I forgot to react to your last paragraph where you noted " The Geteland
example you gave  ich zeg oech da ich da ni en wil  = St. Dutch ik zeg u dat
ik dat niet wil looks quite Limburgish to me with all its  ch's. Is this
part of Brabant already Limburgophone maybe?"
Melkwezer is indeed quite close to the Brabant-Limburg border and Limburg
influence is undeniable. In the book I published last year "Woordenboek van
het Melkwezers Een Getelands dialect" I enumerated the cases of eastern
(German) influence. I found as many as 16, far fewer than for instance in
the dialect of Tongeren (not so far from the Dutch-Limburg border), but
considerably more than in the dialect of Tienen (about 10 km west of
Melkwezer), which also belongs to the Getelands. By the way, Getelands has
always been the battleground where eastern and western language features
have been vying with one another for supremacy.

Regards,

Roger