LL-L "Language contacts" 2004.11.08 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Nov 8 21:18:33 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.NOV.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Helge Tietz <helgetietz at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language contacts" 2004.11.07 (05) [E]

Moin-moin Lowlanders,

Since I am a native Low Saxon speaker from the Rendsborg district which is a
variety of Low Saxon with a Jutish akzentuation and a Danish speaker as well
it is often pointed out by Danes that the way I speak standart Danish sounds
like Synnejysk, inparticular the "rolled r" in worde such as "bror" and the
lack of the "stoet". Since Danish speakers who have a German passport
usually come from the Sydslesvig region it often is assumed by Danes to be
the general German akzent because many Danes are not aware that there is a
Danish minority south of the border. I think it would quickly become obvious
to them if a Bavarian of Hessian speaks Danish that there are huge
differences. When speaking German to Southern Germans I often get asked
whether I am English (or something like that) because to them my High German
akzent sounds "outlandish" as well, in particular the
"st-sp"-pronounciation. But it doesn't really matter to me, to retain m y
local Low Saxon dialect and its pronounciation is more important to me than
to either attempting to imitate "correct" Rigsdansk or High German so I can
live with it. In many ways the Sydslesvigers form an Nordic entity in itself
which is neither German nor Danish, somwhere in between with cultural links
to the Netherlands, particularily the Provincie Frisland, and I usually feel
like that myself but because the Sydslesvig-movement depents on Danish
subsidies to survive nobody really dares to describe us as such because we
might loose then this vital financial help.

Helge