LL-L "Mischief" 2004.11.10 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Nov 10 19:21:58 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.NOV.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at saxnot.com>
Subject: LL-L "Mischief" 2004.11.10 (01) [E]

Kenneth wrote:

> When using Linux, the email program Novell Evolution (free of charge) is
an
> even better choice.

That's rather a personal preference, Kenneth. I'm all for Evolution,
it's a very good email client, yet I prefer Thunderbird. Anyway, this is
totally language unrelated, so I'll shut up now.

Henry

-------

From: Grietje MENGER <grietje at menger.fsnet.co.uk>

Please, please people, do NOT include whole messages in your replies.
Despite Ron's urging it still happens, and there's a few culprits whom we
all love and hold dear.

But I receive between 60 and 140 emails daily from emailgroups like this.
It's just TOO much to have to scroll through screens and screens of unedited

Please stop doing this. I enjoy reading ALL messages, even though I don't
contribute often myself. Don't force me to quit because it's too much
hassle.

Grietje Menger
Scotland

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.com>
Subject: Mischief

Thanks, Grietje.

What you are talking about above may not, strictly speaking, qualify as
"mischief," but I understand where you are coming from, and I very much
appreciate your interest in reading as much relevant stuff as possible.

What you are referring to is indeed very annoying.  And to think that I
routinely cut off "dangling quotes" (those following, _in toto_ or partly, a
signature)!  But I don't think people intend to annoy or to be mischievious.
Much rather, they are ... say ... "sloppy" or "casual" about it, while
others don't have the technical know-how to edit properly.

When I omit an entire dangling edition, I don't care if the response seems
without context, making readers say, "Huh?! What are they talking about?"
Perhaps the culprits will learn that way when they read their own postings
floating through thin air.

As I said, I try to consistently leave out anything "dangling," though once
in a while it may slip through in (rare or not so rare) moments of
insufficient attention on my part.

Problematic submissions -- and I assume they are the ones you are referring
to -- are those that have responses inserted after long passages of quotes,
where really only a fraction would be relevant and ought to be quoted.
These are problematic for me also in part because I am super-hesitant when
it comes to editing.

Many of the "old hands" on the List, and some attentive and consciencious
not-so-old hands, do it just right: they quote smaller chunks to which they
wish to respond.  Please, folks, try to follow their lead!

Thanks, everyone, especially to you, Grietje, for helping to make this as
smooth and pleasant a ride as possible and for being so supportive!

Regards,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands-L
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net