LL-L "Holidays" 2004.11.10 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Nov 11 06:21:14 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.NOV.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Tom Mc Rae <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2004.11.10 (02) [E]

On 11/11/2004, at 3:47 AM, R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.com> wrote:

> Scottish (anonymous?):
>
>    No Man's Land
>
>    Well, how do you do, Private William McBride,
>    Do you mind if I sit down here, by your graveside?
I believe that this was written by Scot Eric Bogle who emigrated to
Australia from Peebles in Border Country to work as an accountant but
turned to Folk music instead. His most famous song commemorating
Gallipoli is "And the Band Played 'Waltzing Matilda' " A guaranteed
tear jerker. He claimed at one concert he had written Willie McBride
after a visit to WW1 war graves in France.
Regards
Tom
Tom Mc Rae PSOC
Brisbane Australia
An honest man's the noblest work of God
Robert Burns

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Holiday

Thanks for that, Tom.

Eric Bogle and his "And the Band Played 'Waltzing Matilda'" ... Oh, yes!  I
knew them well, and listened to him perform it live once.  A guaranteed
tear-jerker indeed!  Thanks for reminding me on this day!

Gallipoli ... It's a heavy burden in Australian memory, conjuring up
thoughts about one of the most important historical turning points in modern
Australian history, perhaps an important part of the beginning of national
emancipation.

You can find the words of the song here:
http://www.liv-coll.ac.uk/pa09/europetrip/brussels/bogle.htm
http://celtic-lyrics.com/lyrics/36
http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/a/andthebandplayedwaltzingmatilda.shtml

With a Dutch introduction here:
http://www.moorsmagazine.com/kippevelenknusliedjes/waltzingmatilda.html

A recording of Bogle introducing and performing the song can be downloaded
here:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/parton/2/bandplayed.ram

And about Eric Bogle:
http://www.windbourne.com/ebogle/eric.html

He's a good man.  He emigrated to Australia only 5-6 years before me.  He
and his works belong to the many treasures Scotland has sent to Australia.
Thanks, Scotland!

Thanks to and for you too, Tom, and please say hello to Australia for me!

Reinhard/Ron

P.S.: For those Lowlanders who did not already know, a "Mathilda" is an
Australian rover's traveling pack, and "Waltzing Matilda" is perhaps the
best-know Australian folksong.