LL-L "Resources" 2004.11.11 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Nov 11 19:50:39 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.NOV.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>

For people who are fond of languages, like most subscribers of this list I
assume, there is the nice although rather limited site of TravLang,
where one can find some basic words and sentences in all kind of languages,
meant for travellers all over the world.
Besides the more common and major languages, we also can find for instance
Xhosa, Frisian and Esperanto.
http://www.travlang.com/languages/index/html is the right address to it.

But I was missing one important language here: there is no trace of Low
Saxon to be found of TravLang.
Since like I said the much smaller (West-Lauwers) Frisian does appear on the
website, I was wondering how the languages were picked.
Maybe someone just translated everything into Frisian and sent it to
TravLang, who put it on its site?

In that case, the same could be done with Low Saxon. In my opinion it should
be the Northern German variety, in ANS-orthography,
or maybe some intermediate version acceptable for both German and Dutch
speakers?
I think Low Saxon should be present on a website that claims to have
materials about 900 languages.
By the way other important Lowland-languages like Scots are absent too. A
shame!

I'll try to translate the standard TravLang subjects into my own version of
Low Saxon, but that variety is not quite so useful as a Standard
Low Saxon I think. The standard subjects are: basic words, numbers,
shopping/dining, travel, directions, places, and times and dates.

Very useful for people who want to visit the Low Saxon speaking area, as
some of us are planning to do by bike, as I've read before.

Ingmar Roerdinkholder