LL-L "Technical" 2004.11.18 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Nov 18 22:07:54 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 18.NOV.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Henno Brandsma <hennobrandsma at hetnet.nl>
Subject: Technical

On holding fast, in Westerlauwers you could say fêsthâlde. (As always I
defer to Henno - that bloke's a fair dinkum genius at the lingo).
Holding on is usually beethâlde. Specially when the wind catches the
sails of the river barge during a race and the thing takes off! Then
there's nothing else to do but to go "forrit!"

Best
Andrys

----------
So, how about Arabic, folks? I am so happy to have native (and learned)
Arabic speakers on this list, so I'm appealing to them. We won't publish
your name(s) if you don't want to.

سÙ?اÙ
Ø? صد٠Ù?ات عز٠زة! Ø£Ù?ا Ù?Ù?ت جدÙ?ا Ù
سرÙ?رة Ø¥Ù? Ø£Ù?ت تساعد. رجاء Ù?تبت Ø¥Ù?Ù? Ù .

Ciao, cari amici italiani! Sono disposto a aiutarli con una traduzione
italiana della storia circa il scricciolo? Scriva me, prego! Ringraziamenti
in anticipo.

Norwegian: gjerdesmett
Swedish: gärdsmyg
Faeroese: músabróðir
Icelandic: músarrindill
Italian: scriccolo
French: roi de froidure, cabot, roetelet, rutelet,
ratereau, raillon (or troglodyte mignon)
Catalan: cargolet
Latvian: paceplitis
Lithuanian: karetaitÄ?s
Hungarian: ökörszem
Lower Sorbian: stÅ?Ä?ž, stÅ?Ä?žyk
Upper Sorbian: kralik
Russian: кÑ?апивник
Greek: Ï?ρÏ
Ï?οÏ?ράÏ?Ï?ηÏ?
Herbrew: א×?ר×?פ×? ×?אס×?×?
Arabic: Ù?Ù?صÙ?ع (waS`)
Turkish: _çalı kuÅ?u_ ("shrubbery bird") or _bokluca bülbül_
("turd nightingale," thus similar to Groningen Lowlands Saxon
_keudeldoemke_ "little turd thumb")
Azeri: gicitkÉ?nlik
Kazakh: Ò?алаÒ?айлÑ?Ò?
Chinese: 鷦鷯 | 鹪鹩 (jiao1 liao2)

Hoi allegearre,

Wêrom stjoerik boppesteande ûnsin?
Why send this nonsense (see above?): to illustrate my problem with unicode..
I view (and send) this message using UTF-8 encoding, working on my new MAC
OS-X (Panther) computer,
and I cannot get the Arabic, or even Frisian (see Andrys) characters to show
themselves properly.

So anyone with any experience with MAC and "Mail" (default mail client) and
UTF-8?
Who does see the characters correctly? The standard Message --> Text
Encoding --> UTF-8 solution does not work...

Some sample characters (to test, I see them fine now)
???? (IPA), aß?d (Greek), ???? (Cyrillic), ??? (Hebrew), ??? (Arabic)

Basically, if I compose the message it seems ok. But receiving them seems
hard, very often.

Groetnis,

Henno Brandsma

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <Lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>

Henno,

I can't read some words in your messages in any encoding mode.

Hopefully there is someone on the List that can offer some technical
assistance.

Regards,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands-L