LL-L "Transliteration" 2004.11.26 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Nov 21 19:33:28 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 21.NOV.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: Transliteration

I know there are some standards for how to transliterate Cyrillic, Hebrew
etc into Latin characters, but how do we translate our lowland names in
Chinese characters?

I was in Beijing from Nov 12 till Nov 18 and tried to find out.

I understand Chinese try to find a close match, transliterate, and finally
do not pronounce as in the original language, but rather how these
characters read in Chinese.

I asked the guide to note in pinyin the Chinese name for CocaCola Light (=
diet Coke).
He wrote:                     Jian yi  ke kou ke le
(I omit the tone accents)
“Light” is translated,
“Coca Cola” finally becomes “ke kou ke le”
See label of a bottle and his pinyin transcription on:
http://home-13.tiscali-business.nl/~tpm09245/tmp/cocacola.jpg

Before continuing with the transcription, some general things I saw and
learned.

A - Bejing street names generally have a pinyin transcription beneath the
Chinese characters. This transcription generally is in capital characters
without tone indication. In a few cases of internationally known places, the
pinyin transcription is replaced with the English name of the place.

B – Our guide found these pinyin transcriptions silly, since Chinese people
can read the Chinese characters, and Westerners do not understand the pinyin
texts anyhow. Deepening further into the matter I understand pinyin has much
ambiguity, since a same syllable can have different meanings, and needs the
completion of the whole sentence, or needs a context for being understood,
while the characters are immediately semantically clear.
He told me kids start with pinyin the first two years of primary school, but
switch to Chinese Characters afterwards.
I bought some books for kids, and a page out of one of these illustrates the
transition:
http://home-13.tiscali-business.nl/~tpm09245/tmp/p_23.jpg

C – Translating into characters raises other issues: what character set to
use?:
- the simplified mainland character set? (used on mainland China, except for
Hong-Kong)
- the traditional character set? (used in Taiwan)
- a calligraphic character set, where sun, feathers, lotus flours etc
replace some combinations of strokes

Back to the transliteration.

In Badaling, at the wall, an artist was offering calligraphic versions of
their name to Chinese people. I asked him if he could do my name. I wrote
down “ROGER THIJS”, he made this of it:
http://home-13.tiscali-business.nl/~tpm09245/tmp/wall.jpg
I asked him to write the name also in standard Chinese characters, he wrote
it in the upper right corner, cf. scanned detail at:
http://home-13.tiscali-business.nl/~tpm09245/tmp/wallname.jpg
I asked our guide to read the calligraphic version, he could not. Than the
standard character version in the upper right corner, he thought it was
something poetic, but he did not translate. When I told him it was a name,
he made something out of it that was somehow close to my name.

Next day I asked him to write my name on a sheet of paper in both Chinese
characters and pinyin. This is what he wrote:
http://home-13.tiscali-business.nl/~tpm09245/tmp/guide_1.jpg
He was at least consistent with himself, since I found my name on the
Certificate of Participation as:
http://home-13.tiscali-business.nl/~tpm09245/tmp/certific.jpg

A couple of days later I asked a calligraphist at the entrance of the Liyuan
theatre for having “EURO-SUPPORT” getting transliterated:
I got this:
http://home-13.tiscali-business.nl/~tpm09245/tmp/opera.jpg
I asked him to write it also in normal Chinese characters on a sheet of
paper, and I got:
http://home-13.tiscali-business.nl/~tpm09245/tmp/operatxt.jpg

I also asked our guide, to do the same. He wanted to know if I would like to
have it “as to sound” or rather (what he preferred) “as to meaning”.
For the sound I got (with Inc. added):
http://home-13.tiscali-business.nl/~tpm09245/tmp/guide_2.jpg
For the translation I got:
http://home-13.tiscali-business.nl/~tpm09245/tmp/guide_3.jpg