LL-L "Etymology" 2004.11.23 (04) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 23 17:07:52 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.NOV.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Kenneth Rohde Christiansen <kenneth at gnu.org>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.11.21 (07) [E/LS]

Reinhard wrote:

> Den segt Jy in Twente wul "wicht" vör "kind"?
> In Oostvreysland beduydt dat "girl", in Duytsch "wight", "goblin".
>
> So I take it in Twente you say _wicht_ for "child"?
> In Eastern Friesland it means "girl", in German "wight", "goblin".

Wicht beteykent "girl" hyr in Grünnen, en blykber ok in Oost-Drinte -
dat he'k namelk ok op myn Skik cd hoerd.

Kenneth

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>

Groningen as well.
In the South Western part of that province we say "magien" ["ma:Gi:~], a
dim. form of maagd = maiden.
Child = _kiend_ [kint]. Probably the same form in Salland (Western
Overijssel).
In the Achterhoek children are called _blagen_ ["bla:G at n]/[bla:g=N], and a
girl is _maeken_ [mE:k at n].
In Standard Dutch, _wicht_ is a pejorative way to say "girl", mostly a dumb,
unimportant or ugly one.

Ingmar