LL-L "Language politics" 2004.11.23 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 23 23:35:24 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.NOV.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2004.11.20 (02) [E]

Grietje wrote:
"New survey shows Frisian declining with every generation..."

>From my limited experience in Fryslan and amongst Frisians I would suggest
that the language needs more visibility and exposure - perhaps similar to
the everyday total bilingualism that characterises Wales, Brussels and parts
of Canada and Finland. When I visited the core Frisian-speaking area there
were hardly any road signs or public notices in the language, and Frisian
interest materials were relegated to the folklore sections of bookshops.
Everyone in commerce initiated conversation in Dutch, even though we were
not conspicuously non-Frisian and, in fact, were in the company of a native
Frisian-speaking friend. It was very difficult to get a conversation in
Frisian (outside of family homes) anywhere.

>From what I could tell, Fryslan appears to have adopted the Irish model of
bilingualism, whereby the only Frisian is token, in a much smaller (or
italicised) font, rare, and considered of novelty value, rather than a
living, breathing, working language in a heartland where it is dominant.

Oat sjén,

Criostóir.