LL-L "Idiomatica" 2004.11.23 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 23 23:35:27 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.NOV.2004 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Idiomatica

Further about infants and "infanticized" adults mentioned under Etymology
today, ...

I wrote:

> A more jocular word for baby or infant is _schyt-buydel_
> (<Schietbüdel> ["Si(:)t%by(:)d=l], pl. __s).  I assume I have to add
nothing
> to this one except to say that _buydel_ is a 'bag', 'pouch'  or 'bundel'
> Knowing this, you might be surprised hearing this one used even for
adults,
> such as grown-up children, spouses or lovers ...  _Och, nu kaam maal her
un
> geev my 'n soyten, myn lütten schytbüdel!_ ("Oh, come on over here and
give
> me a sweet one (= kiss), my little ...!"), something that in American
slang
> might be "Come on, give Daddy~Momma some sugar, baby!" (where
"Daddy~Momma"
> does not necessarily refer to a parent but can also refer to a lover).

More common still: _schyter_ (<Schieter> ['Si(:)t3]).  No comment other than
it, too, can be used meaning 'darling' and the like.  It's widely used in
Northern German dialects as well (never translated mind you, because that
would sound really crass).  Kind of earthy, come to think of it.  ;-}  [Yes,
folks, it literally does mean what you are fearing it means.]  When my
mother started addressing my wife as _mein Schieter_ I felt compelled to
quickly explain in English that this was a *good* thing, a step up from a
mere _meine Süße_ ("my sweet one" = 'sweetheart').  The earthy but heartfelt
version is the most intimate one, usually confined to the nuclear family or
to couples.

As for "... (where "Daddy~Momma" does not necessarily refer to a parent but
can also refer to a lover)," you'll hear many Americans use the phrase "Come
to Daddy/Poppa~Momma!", for instance addressing a welcome thing (e.g., a
greatly desired pizza while opening the delivery box).  So
"Daddy/Poppa~Momma" can stand for "I" or "me."  I've been known to have used
it myself, such as when my new computer arrived and I was out of earshot of
the delivery guy ...  :-)