LL-L "Icons" 2004.11.25 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Nov 25 15:41:07 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.NOV.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Culture" [E]

> From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Culture" 2004.11.23 (13) [E]
>
> Tattooing amongst young people is generally just harmless ignorance - I
> can
> think of no-one I know of that age range who has actually researched their
> Chinese / Japanese character set. I find it distasteful, but it is a
> matter
> of personal choice as far as I am concerned.

Er... what age range?

In my experience quite a number of young people in England know Japanese
very well. I know two twenty year old English women who are able to read
Japanese with ease (or so it seems to me), and it's not unusual to hear two
English people speaking Japanese to each other just for practice. I've also
witnessed a young Englishwoman eavesdropping on a conversation between two
Japanese women and getting the gist of it just on the strength of having
seen so many Japanese films.

So when shopping for clothes in a group, "Does anybody read Japanese?" might
be a sensible question these days - and if it turned out that it said "For
Sale" this might be funny enough to make someone buy it!

> tattooist has ripped it from). Yet these people will fiercely argue that
> their tatto is Celtic, because some tattooist told them it was.

Of course, ignorance is a separate issue, though I find the ingrained
ignorance of the old much less excusable than the I'm-learning-stuff
ignorance of the young

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: ezinsser at icon.co.za <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Culture"

Hi all,

I agree with Críostóir:
>Tattoos and the like being personal choices...there is nothing >anyone on
>this list can
do about such misappropriation. We are >arguing against the wind.

I'd like to discuss the reasons other than cultural significance, vanity or
perhaps fun
(?!) behind tattooing, piercings, lobe stretching and shavings of young
people.

I recently read Miriam Toews' _A Complicated Kindness_ and have again
wondered why it is
that certain societies/milieus evoke in their children the need to carve or
hammer-in an
alternative identity? Is it alienation of the self, or a basic
rebelliousness against an
oppressive society?

Regards,
Elsie Zinsser