LL-L "Proverbs" 2004.11.28 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Nov 28 21:47:55 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.NOV.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

Onderwerp: Proverbs
Van: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>

"The Rymour Club, Edinburgh" Miscellanea, Vol. II, Part IV conains a short
article signed "A. R." presenting a list of ten "Buchan Proverbs" as
listed below, with transkations.

What I'm wondering is, what do proverbs 5 and 8 actually mean? In what
situation would they be used?

1.  Na, na; that will never dee. That dog's ower dear: I'll keep my
bawbees, an bark mysel.

2.  Gin ye need to beg, beg yer leen.

3.  A teem wime maks the kail fine.

4.  Gin ye dinna ca canny ye'll droon the miller.

5.  Yon's a lady wad gar ye swing the broom.

6.  He wad rake hell for a farden.

7.  Kick yer heels in the air an lat byganes sleep.

8.  Ye sud ca canny; ye've bairns o yer ain, an ye dinna ken wha's door
may drap in the howe o their neck.

9.  He hasna muckle; for he's aye staunin in the hert o his wardrobe.

10. Ye can dee as ye like, for ye aye haud the heft an the blade in yer
ain hand.

I translate these as:

1.  No, no; that will never do. That dog's too expensive: I'll keep my
bawbees [copper coins], and bark for myself.

2.  If you need to beg, beg alone.

3.  An empty stomach makes the kail [soup] excellent.

4.  If you don't go easy you'll drown the miller. [ie water the whisky
down to tastelessness]

5.  That's a lady who would cause you to swing the broom.

6.  He would search hell for a farthing. [a quarter of an old penny]

7.  Kick your heels in the air and let bygones sleep.

8.  You should mind how you go; you have children of your own, and you
don't know who's door may fall on the back of their neck.

9.  He doesn't have much; for he's always standing in the middle of his
wardrobe.

10. You can do as you wish, for you always hold the heft an the blade in
your own hand.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org