LL-L "Places" 2004.11.28 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Nov 28 21:53:18 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.NOV.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

Onderwerp: Places
Van: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>

Roger Verheist writes:
>The universal Esperanto Congress is held this summer at Vilnius -
>planning in conjhunction with this event a trip to Eastern-E rope I am
>considering to visit also Kaliningrad (Köningsbergen),
>Are there any LLers
>who have some actual information about this city ?

This city was featured in the BBC programme "Who do you think you are"
this week.  This is a wonderful series, where British tv personalities
explore their personal heritage.  It probably won't get shown outside
the UK (Moira Stuart, Bill Oddie and Jeremy Clarkson probably are not
household names overseas), which is a great shame, because even if you
know nothing about these people, their family histories are fascinating
(in these cases, Black students in Victorian Britain, a mother who was
incarcerated in a "mental hospital" as they were known then, and
"Whatever Happened to the Kilner Jar Patent and Fortune").

This last week the personality was David Badiel.  David's maternal line
comes from Kalingrad.  He travelled to the city, attempting to find out
what happened to those members of his family who did not flee - and was
David's mother really the daughter of the couple who took her out of
Kalingrad aged five months?

You may be able to find out more from the BBC website - there was quite
a lot of filming from the city.

With best wishes,

Pat
--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)