LL-L "Etymology" 2004.10.17 (04) [E/LS/S]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 17 18:26:46 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.OCT.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.10.16 (06) [E]

Dear Pat,

 Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.10.14 (16) [E]

> (i.e. Mark) writes
> >> According to the _Oxford English Dictionary_, the origin of this word
is
> >> unknown.
> >
> >Tolkien must have left before they got to 'T'.

Homer also nods - or at least, sometimes shrugs his shoulders and says
> 'dunno' (or the academic equivalent).  Tolkien was there for the W days
> (walrus and wampum, among other things, are his). There is a great paper
> on Tolkien's contribution to the Dictionary by Peter Gilliver (of the
> OED staff) in 'The Proceedings of the 1992 Tolkien Centenary Conference'
> (ed. Reynolds and GoodKnight).  I also recommend 'Caught in the Web of
> Words' (author and dates escaping me at the moment, as is the book
> itself).

Sorry, Pat. I know this. & forgive me please, everyone else. I was actually
provoking two mentors, Ron & Tolkien. Thanks for taking up cudgels on
Tolkien's behalf. I expect he made no record of cognates because there WERE
no cognates of teuchter to be found.
This disappoints me. I read in H. Sweet's 'Student's Dictionary of
Anglo-Saxon', "teon [participle of] TOGEN, draw, drag, pull, tug, educate,
instruct, GO, TRAVEL" (my capitals). Now what happened to this term in
Northhumbrian & Inglis?

Yrs,
Mark