LL-L "Phonology" 2004.10.18 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 18 21:26:11 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 18.OCT.2004 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2004.10.18 (02) [E]

languages:
that learners can't hear some of the nuances in pronunciation in a certain
language that are absolutely self-evident for its native speakers.
This is the case described below with Dutch v [v] and w [W].
I'm under the impression that even many Dutch with Frisian mothertongue are
_deaf_ to this distinction, because they often tend to pronounce Dutch leven
as ["le:iW@] in stead of ["le:iv@]. Dutch initial v- in Frisian mouth
becomes [f] : vader ["fa:d at r] for ["va:d at r].

Other examples: Scandinavians hear [s] for [z] in English; Abba: thank you
for the music [mju:"sIk].
Most Dutch - and probably many others - can't distinguish English short a
[{] and e [E] when they here it, although we can learn to pronounce both
vowels
differently when we know how they are spelt...
I believe that the difference between Dutch ij/ei [Ei] and ee [e:i] is not
so easy too for foreigners. Nijgen ["nEiG@]/ neigen ["nEiG@] but negen
["ne:G@] etc.
Or between ch and g: ruige ["r2yG@] = rough/rude vs juichen ["j2yx@] =
shout/jubilate; kogel ["ko:uG at l] bullet vs goochel ["xo:ux at l] juggle/play
tricks etc

Personally, I don't hear or pronounce German, German Lower Saxon w- or
Scandinavian v- as Dutch v [v] but as Dutch w [W].
English and French v- = Dutch v [v] to me, but for instance Czech or
Hungarian v I hear as Dutch w. So the spelling is not important here for the
perception...

Ingmar

> R. F. Hahn wrote about the subject orthography:
>
> Thanks, Ingmar.
>
> Dutch (and Netherlands Lowlands Saxon?) /w/ is pronounced as a labiodental
> glide.  It corresponds to voiced fricative [v] in the dialects on the
German
> side of the border.
>
> The phonetic output of Dutch (and Netherlands Lowlands Saxon?) /v/ is a
bit
> of a mystery to those outside the area.  People in the Netherlands
describe
> it as a "devoiced v".  Well, a "devoiced v" would be [f] according to
> internationally accepted principles.  However, native speakers swear up
and
> down that you can clearly hear the difference between /v/ and /f/.
>I have been listening and listening and have come to the conclusion that
the
> difference is a puff of air that accompanies /f/ and does not accompany
/v/.
> It is easy to imagine -- if you are right, Ingmar, and this set of three
is
> original and was disturbed by German influence in "Oostersch" -- and I
tend
> to go along with you there -- that /v/ came to be usurped by /f/ in the
> east, thereby creating a set of two phonemes out of a set of three.
>
> So ...
>
> Initials:
>
> Netherlands:  w  |  v  |  f
>
> Germany:       v   |     f
>
> In a spelling system that allows dialectal variation with maximal
> interdialectal reading comprehension (which is what I propose), we would
> therefore have to free up the <v> for the /v/ of the Netherlands and write
> <f> for what is true initial /f/ in all varieties.  What do you think,
> Kenneth, others?  This, together with <ii> makes the system look more and
> more like North Frisian.

> > Germany this
> > LowSax initial v- is always pronounced as [f] ? That's different in
LowSax