LL-L "Phonology" 2004.10.20 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 20 14:24:21 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.OCT.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2004.10.19 (09) [E]

Hallo Holger.
I didn't look yet on your site about EFLS, maybe it is explained there
perfectly well, but:
is there really a difference between EFLS ei [Ei] and äi [æi] , and there
long and _ueberlange_ varieties?
I guess for non native speakers it's very hard to hear this difference.
In Standard Dutch _ij and ei_ are usually described as [Ei] but probably
[æi] is closer to reality.
In the Eastern pronunciations of Dutch, i.e. speaking the standard language
with an accent from Southern Drenthe,
Overijssel, Gelderland, Limburg and/or Eastern Brabant, [Ei] or even
[ei]/[Ij] is the right description.
Excluding Groningen and Friesland with more [Ai]-ish sounds.

But as I said I'm interested in East Frisian words with  ei eei eeei  versus
äi ääi äääi, maybe you can show some?
Mid de hertlig gröte af Ingmar