LL-L "Etymology" 2004.10.23 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 24 01:06:50 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.OCT.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.10.23 (01) [E]

At 03:36 PM 10/23/04 -0700, heather rendall  wrote:

>I have a friend here who uses an old bent coat hanger ... with great
>success!

I use copper electrical wire with some success.  I learned this from
watching a worker from our municipality looking for the water line to my
house, since the shut-off well was under a foot of earth.
If you want to try it, first, get some household electrical cable, and
strip an 18-24 inch section off down to the wire.  Then you put a 90 degree
bend in it with just enough to pass completely through your relaxed
fist.  Holding the wire in your hands with the lengths of the wire pointing
directly forward and parallel to the earth at waist level or so, you walk
slowly forward.  If you have the "touch", when you pass over any water
conduit, the ends of the wire will slowly part and swing around to point
directly away from each other to the side.  Happy dowsing!

Ed Alexander, Hamilton, Canada