LL-L "Etymology" 2004.10.24 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 24 20:11:56 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.OCT.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Roger Hondshoven 2 <roger.hondshoven at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.09.18 (04) [A/D/E]

> From: Jo Thys <Jo.Thijs1 at pandora.be>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.09.17 (01) [A/E]
>
> > The word canne could
> > be latinised from the Greek and introduced to local British Celtic
tribes
> by
> > Roman occupation who then passed it on to the new "Saxon" arrivals. OR
it
> > could have been brought into Frisian/Saxon lingua a lot earlier via
Roman
> > settlements on the continent. Is this a stupid thought?
> > Cheers
> > Peter Snepvangers
>
> Hei Peter and John, hei allemwol.
>
> For me too it seems plausible that 'canister' is Englishised, Latinised
> Greek maybe through science and gas canisters.
> The word 'canne' however to me doesn't seem a loanword from the Roman nor
> Greek
>
> In Dutch a 'kan' denotes a container (a can-tainer?) of fluids, and a
'kom'
> the smaller bowls from wich one eats soupe, ..., irrespective of the
> material of wich it's made.
>
> The verb 'kunnen" (being able to) is irregular in Dutch (kon- gekund /
> ik,jij, hij kan), and is best translated as 'being able to'.(e.g. ik kan
> zwemmen, ik kan komen).The regular verb 'kennen' (kende-gekend),"to know
> (someone)" is mostly used in relation with people while the irr.
> 'weten-wist-geweten' (cfr gr. oida) "to know (something)" is rather used
in
> combination with learned knowledge.
>
> Since food containers are invented millenia ago, and frequently used ever
> since, 'can/kanne/kanna' doesn't have to be a loanword at all, but could
be
> part of  the IE vocabulary (like 'bee'). Though 'a can' is differently
used
> in Canada, England, ... it's not a loan (from English) and refers in
> different groups to a different part of the broad range of (food)
> containers. Similarities between say English and Greek could result from
the
> same proces in which the meaning of the same IE word 'kanna' is slightly
> altered with the appearance of new types of food containers. For the verb
> 'to can/kennen' grossly goes the same since knowledge and social behavior
> also have changed drasticly.
>
> If 'a can' and 'to can' are cognate at all, in very ancient times some
> food(/fluid) containing objects and knowledge and capabilities had to be
> united in one thing or person. Could that be a woman, 'gyne' in Greek
(knaai
> in Dutch), who can bear childeren (in a fluid)(kin-der, kunne in Dutch),
> who handels the 'cans', who learn their childeren what they can and what
> they can't, and collect more knowledge (kennis) by living longer?
>
>  koffiekan, theekan, waterkan
> de pastoor kan ook, maar die mag niet (NLimb. joke)
>
> Groeten,
> Jo Thys

Hi Jo,

Flemish (East-Brabant) 'knaai' , next to 'knalle' (both meaning 'cunning,
wicked woman') being related to Greek 'gyne' is highly debatable. To my mind
the word is derived from French 'canaille', which in turn comes from
Italian 'canaglia', from Latin 'canem, canis' "dog". It is interesting to
note that in the same Flemish dialect a variant of the word 'canaille' is
used for men: 'kanje' (nj representing a palatalized n) , meaning "cunning
male person'.
Vriendelijke groeten,

Roger Hondshoven