LL-L "Syntax" 2004.10.24 (03) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 24 20:12:05 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.OCT.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Syntax" 2004.10.18 (02) [E]

Sounds interesting! Would it be possible that in parts of Flemish speaking
Belgium this _en/ne_ negative particle
was preserved so much longer because of French influence;like  _ne_ in  Je
ne sais pas? I mean Melkwezer must
be not too far from the Dutch/French (or Flemish/Walloon) language border,
and standard French has been the
official languages of the area so long, and the Brabant capital is primarily
French-speaking Brussels...

The Geteland example you gave  _ich zeg oech da ich da ni en wil_  = St.
Dutch ik zeg u dat ik dat niet wil
looks quite Limburgish to me with all its  ch's. Is this part of Brabant
already Limburgophone maybe? (Ingmar)

> From: Roger Hondshoven 2 <roger.hondshoven at pandora.be>
> Subject: LL-L "Syntax" 2004.09.05 (03) [E]
>
> > > Hi all,
> In connection with 'en/ne' I would like to add that in Brabant 'en' is
used
> as a negative particle together with another negative word. From the
dialect
> that I researched, the dialect of Melkwezer, a "Getelands" dialect in
> East-Brabant, I may quote a couple of examples: as der ni en zwecht..'als
je
> niet zwijgt..', ich zeg oech da ich da ni en wil 'ik zeg je dat ik dat
niet
> wil' . The 'en' is used only sporadically today and then by older people.
It

From: Jo Thys <Jo.Thijs1 at pandora.be>