LL-L "Anniversary" 2004.10.24 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 25 00:49:48 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.OCT.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Anniversary" 2004.10.24 (04) [E]

first.
But is the decision already made that this Wren-story is the text that's
most appropriate for the "Triple L"?  For instance, I don't know if the same
text read over again, that only differs in dialect variety is so
entertaining. Not that I'd have other suggestions myself, but someone else
might... Maybe there will be some more reactions or ideas coming up the next
days or weeks... But if the Wren is chosen that's alright to me too, for
it's a nice little tale, and we have it available, and it has been
translated already, so... no
problem. (Ingmar)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

> But is the decision already made that this Wren-story is the text that's
> most appropriate for the "Triple L"?

I don't insist on it.  The advantages are that we have a good headstart
there, and it's a traditional Lowlands tale of manageable length.
Furthermore, there are translations in a number of non-Lowlands languages
and dialects, which gives those better access whose English reading
abilities aren't great.

I welcome further translations, Lowlandic or not.  We can have more than one
version for a given area, for instance other West Flemish or Scots ones.
And there are so many dialects of each language.

Is anyone willing to help me with Polish, Yiddish, Hebrew, Turkish and
Chinese versions?  Would it help if I posted my draft translations sometime
and asked for privately sent corrections?  In that case please let me know
if you want to be given credit.

Is anyone willing to add other versions, such as Norwegian, Swedish,
Finnish, Estonian, Saami, Arabic, Hindi/Urdu, Sindhi, Sanskrit, Sinhala,
Swahili, Zulu ... whichever!  You name it!

http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/low-saxon/ls-story.html

I just added another Hamburg dialect version (Hamburg 2).