LL-L "Etymology" 2004.10.29 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 29 18:00:43 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.OCT.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.10.26 (02) [E]

Beste Pyt Berg

Subject: Spanish in Dutch

> In Dutch there is a word I have not seen in LS or Deutsch.
> MOOI does it come from the Spanish MUY?

It seems to me most unlikely. From 'mooi' = beautiful to 'muy' = very, is to
my mind too much of a leap.

Having said that, when I was on the kibbutz, an Argentinian volunteer fell
under the star of an Afrikaans girl, & came to me for a translation of a
suitable compliment, painfully penned in English 'Look at those beautiful
legs!'
Well aware that this 'compliment' would not be received in a positive light,
I was young enough to look forward to the result of the experiment, &
obliged him with; 'Kyk daardie mooi bene!' together with careful schooling
in pronunciation. He was delighted, saying, "Mooi bene! That is just like
the Spanish!" & tried it that evening at dinner. He got a klap for it.
Strange to say, he was impressed by her 'fire', & esteemed the exercise a
success!

Groete,
Mark.