LL-L "Etymology" 2004.09.10 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 10 23:13:56 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.SEP.2004 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.09.09 (02) [E]

Elsie wrote:
>Gabrielle, varsity is the same as when you'd say Uni instead of Universitt.
>It's not your child posing the question, is it?

No, my children are smarter than that... :-P

Really, I always though it had something to do with "diversity". First of
all, I've never heard the word in a different context (everyone just calls
it "college" these days, the term "university" seems to have become almost
exotic). And, yes, in my way of thinking, jocks and university are mutually
exclusive (except for those who happen to study sports to become a sports
teacher, but even then they are required to take a second, more academic
subject, plus several years of education science - meaning that some brains
are still required).

And I'll have you know that, in my eight years in the USA, I asked several
smart, educated people what "varsity" meant, and no-one could ever tell me.
So there.

Gabriele Kahn