LL-L "Semantics" 2004.09.19 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Sep 19 16:59:59 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.SEP.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Semantics" 2004.09.18 (01) [E]

John Feather
> I just wanted to assure Gabriele that "funny formal little rituals" is
> perfect idiomatic English.
>
> For members with a lesser grasp of Eng, "funny" has two meanings. If we're
> not sure which someone means we say: "Do you mean 'funny *ha-ha*' or
'funny
> *peculiar*'?" . We have ABBA's authority for the latter, of course, at
least
> in the case of a rich man's world.

Funny you should mention that, John - I was actually well aware of it, but
thanks for the reassurance anyway! :-)

And funny that most of those "funny" words seem to have double meanings -
there's also strange and strange, as well as odd and odd... good thing
there's always the word "peculiar", which is pretty much unambiguous.

ABBA's authority? They're Swedish, after all, not English. So maybe the band
will make a comeback after all... and this time, to avoid all
misunderstandings, they'll sing in Middelsprake! Their first breakthrough
was at the European Song Contest, after all, with "Waterloo" - maybe they
could do it again!

Gabriele Kahn