LL-L "Genealogy" 2004.09.29 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 29 23:20:31 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.SEP.2004 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Genealogy" 2004.09.29 (08) [E]

John Feather wrote:
> Please let's not be so sensitive about these things. I took it that
> "civilized" was either
> 1) ironic
> 2) Spenglerian
> 3) one of those errors which we frequently find in Lowlands postings and
> usually politely ignore.
> Why do we pick sides among our ancestors? Would Gabriele's daughter be
> better off without her European heritage?

Without her European heritage, my daughter would only be six percent of a
person, so I guess she would certainly not be better off that way.

But this is totally besides the point. Please let us actually be VERY
sensitive about these things, especially in the light of recent developments
in world politics. I would go as far as not dropping the concept of
"civilizing" other cultures and nations altogether. After all, Lower Saxons
were "civilized" into speaking German, just like the Welsh, Irish and Scots
were "civilized" into dropping their mother tongues to be replaced by
English - to name just one aspect, which, however, is of the greatest
importance on this board. Not to mention the many, many other aspects. I
believe that the concept of "civilizing" another country invites the notion
that some cultures, races, languages, or people are better than others, and
I want the person who wrote this (was it you, John?) to be very aware of
this, because I am sure (s)he did not mean it that way.

The late Mahatma Gandhi was once asked: "What do you think of Western
civilization?". He replied: "Well, I think it would be a great idea."

Civilized greetings from the peanut gallery (my favourite is Linus,
actually...)
Gabriele Kahn