LL-L "Resources" 2005.04.01 (12) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Apr 2 00:56:32 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.APR.2005 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Folks,

Our own Michael Montgomery ( Distinguished Professor Emeritus of English and
Linguistics at the University of South Carolina) kindly sent me a sample
file of Smoky Mountain English for a dedicated web presentation he is
planning.

He writes this:

<quote>

Attached to the message forwarded below is a sound file that you might like
to post at the anniversary
website. It contains a fine story recorded in 1939 by my coeditor for the
_Dictionary of Smoky Mountain
English_, Joseph Sargent Hall. The sound quality is not the best, but is
still quite good considering the
fact that it was recorded on aluminum disk two-thirds of a century ago.  The
speaker is Mr. Eugene Sutton of
Cataloochee, North Carolina (now within the Great Smoky Mountains National
Park), who was 43 years old
at the time of the recording.</quote><quote>Dear FolksAs promised a couple
of days ago, I am sending you herewith attached one sample excerpt from the
Joseph Hall recordings. This is a brief anecdote told by Eugene Sutton (age
43) of Cataloochee, North Carolina, about his grandfather in 1939. It's one
of the best samples in the collection. You will need Media Player to hear
this file.For those interested in further information on materials collected
by Joseph Hall, you might be interested in knowing that all of his personal
copies have been deposited in the Archives of Appalachia at East Tennessee
State University. As you can discover from the detailed finding aid at their
website (go to cass.etsu.edu/ and from there), these include not only
recordings, but also a very large body of unpublished print materials, much
of which I used in the recently published _Dictionary of Smoky Mountain
English_. That work includes a good bit of biographical information about
his as well. With best wishesMichael </quote>This is fantastic!Anyway, he
has given me permission to share this file with you.  I have placed it here
(at least for the time
being):http://www.lowlands-l.net/treasures/Joseph_Sargent_Hall.wmaEnjoy!Reinhard/Ron==============================END===================================*
Please submit postings to lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org.* Postings
will be displayed unedited in digest form.* Please display only the relevant
parts of quotes in your replies.* Commands for automated functions
(including "signoff lowlands-l") are  to be sent to
listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or at
http://linguistlist.org/subscribing/sub-lowlands-l.html.======================================================================