LL-L "Language politics" 2005.04.12 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Apr 12 20:08:19 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.APR.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2005.04.12 (03) [E]

Heather wrote:  "Look what happened to our largest colony (!?)"
Which one is that?  The largest population, or the largest in area?

Additionally, I wonder if anyone can give us some examples of Brussels/EU
English that would perplex me?

Mark Brooks

----------

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>

Mark Williamson wrote:
"In fact, in Flagstaff, the most important municipal documents are
translated into Navajo, which is very much a waste since most Navajos can't
read Navajo and most of those that can are too young to care about such
documents or have a high enough degree of fluency in English to understand
the English version."

Not caring about Navajo on the part of young persons is one thing. They can
choose the English versions of official documents if they prefer. But those
that have "a degree of fluency in English and can understand [that
language]" should not be expected to interact in English simply because of
they know it. That is linguistic hegemony.

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.

----------

From: embryomystic at cogeco.ca <embryomystic at cogeco.ca>

Scríobh Críostóir:

> English would have developed as Latin did if there was no
> print media or electronic media. The evidence is there in
> Yola and Fingalian in Ireland, which were unintelligible
> to English speakers by the eighteenth and nineteenth
> century (and a good bit beforehand).

Could you provide any links or anything with information about Yola and
Fingalian? You mentioned them once before, and I
googled for them, but I didn't manage to find anything. Sounds really
interesting. I do recall reading some mention, in
an old book about Irish dialects, of some English dialect spoken in
southeast Ireland (can't recall where, offhand) that
had diverged quite widely from the standard, and had taken on some
interesting characteristics of Irish, including the
diminutive -een. Could that be Yola or Fingalian?

heather rendall wrote:

> Latin was/is a member of the Italo-Celtic languages,
> descended from Indo-European. There are clear internal
> signs that the Celtic languages and Latin grew out of a
> single branch of IE

Are there? I've read in several places that this theory has been thoroughly
debunked.

le meas,

Isaac Davis/Íosac Mac Dáibhéid