LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.23 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Apr 24 00:39:22 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.APR.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.23 (01) [E]

Leeve Leyglanners,

Here, in Los Angeles, pedestrians (foot-folk) are divided into two main
groups: The quick and the dead.
;-)
Arthur

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Dear Lowlanders,

I am rather surprised to find that the origin of the obsolete English word
"ron [1]" in the excellent online (subscription) version of the _Oxford
English Dictionary_ (http://dictionary.oed.com/) is listed as obscure:

<quote>

"ron [1]"

[Of obscure origin.
  The word being app. southern, it is uncertain whether the original form is
ron or rǫn:—*ran: the latter would have a parallel in Ir. rann verse, poem,
but any real connexion between the two is very doubtful. In Cursor M. 219
the form ron prob. stands for roun, rūn, but riot ron (riming with don done)
in line 26938 may belong here.]
    A short poem or song, esp. a love-song.

a1225 Leg. Kath. 108 Nalde ha nane ronnes ne nane luue runes leornin ne
lustnen. c1275 Luue Ron 2 in O.E. Misc. 93 A mayde Cristes me bit yorne, þat
ich hire wurche a luue ron [rimes -mon, con]. 1327 in Rel. Antiquæ I. 119
Herkne to my ron As ich ou telle con. c1370 Clene Maydenhod (Vernon MS.) 2
Of a trewe loue clene and derne Ichaue I-write þe A Ron [rimes -mon, con,
vppon]

</quote>

Personally I have no doubt in my mind that this word is a biblically derived
Hebrew one:

רׄן ~ רָן
RN (rŏn = _ron_ with a short "o", or _rân_)

The original meaning of this noun appears to be '(ringing) cry', 'shout',
'cry of joy', 'cheer', extended to approximately 'tune', 'song', 'air',
'(sung) poem', 'ode'.

Psalms 37:

×–:
אַתָּה, סֵתֶר לִי  --  מִצַּר ×ªÖ¼Ö´×¦Ö¼Ö°×¨Öµ× Ö´×™
 ×¨Ö¸× Ö¼Öµ×™ פַלֵּט; ×ªÖ¼Ö°×¡×•Ö¹×‘Ö°×‘Öµ× Ö´×™ סֶלָה

z:
aTTâ seTär liy – miSSar TTiSS'reniy
RÂNney sallet; TT'sowv'veniy sälâh

7:
Thou art my hiding-place; Thou wilt preserve me from the adversary;
with SONGS of deliverance Thou wilt compass me about. Selah

This word is related to the following verb:

×¨Ö¸× Ö·×Ÿ _rânan_ 'to give ringing cries', 'to shout', 'to cheer', 'to exalt',
'to praise (loudly)',

Does anyone disagree with my assumption?

P.S.: This noun is also a Hebrew given name for males. It happens to be the
one given to me (in lieu of my German name) by my first Hebrew teacher in
Israel.